Friday, December 5, 2014

Wait, what?

So I am now a graduate of College, and at 41, I have to say huzzah! And wait...what just happened? Is that really it? I'm done? Well....shit.

I am pleased to have earned it, hope it earns me some employment clout (and the income), and maybe gain the respect of others who are also graduates. But of course, there will always be those who have more education and experience than me, and I will just have to deal with it.

Part of me wishes that I could be a student forever. Seriously. I wish I could get a degree in logic, English, philosophy, Greek mythology and math. I really enjoy the learning process and education system of higher ed. That is one of the main reasons that one of my life goals is to teach at a community college. I know, you might be thinking way to set a good goal, community college. In my experience, my most memorable learning experiences came at community college and it shaped me in profound ways and encouraged me to transfer to a state school and acquire my BA.

I think I might be in shock also. I literally just turned in my last assignment, ever, and am drinking a beer and thinking about the huge wide gaping void in front of my, intellectually speaking, and am pretty scared.
I used to worry about how long winter break was and how if I did not keep up my good habit of diligent reading and studying how I would not fair well in the next quarter. Now, I have that same sense of dread, but there is no next quarter to look forward to.

My hope is to land a job that I have no idea how to do, and use my skills and research abilities to become proficient at it. And then I'll have to learn more things, like how to buy a house and all that good stuff.

Good news, well, for some anyway, is that I am planning on moving back to the Seattle area. So, I have that going for me. For now I will still be working at REI and looking for more work and ways to increase my ability to earn money, for bills and all that.

For now, I have to work out some nervous energy and start planning on what the hell to do next.

Until next time....

Joshua


No comments:

Post a Comment